What is the role of the Women’s Auxiliary – a little bit of history
The Australian Imperial Service of Women’s Auxiliary was formed in Phillip Street Sydney by mothers, wives, widows, sisters, daughters and aunts of men who served in the Australian Imperial Forces in the First World War (1914-1918). The auxiliaries grew from this beginning to raise money for the welfare of men and women who served and their widows and families. In 1947, at the Annual State Congress of The Returned and Services League of Australia (NSW Branch)(RSL NSW), a Resolution was formed that an Annual Congress of all Women’s Auxiliaries be convened under the auspices of the RSL.
The RSL Women’s Auxiliary is a non-political non-sectarian organisation. We raise funds for the wellbeing of our current and ex-serving members of the Australian Defence Force and their families. Also we visit the sick in hospital and those convalescing at home. We raise funds to support the RSL Welfare and Benevolent Institution by holding raffles, selling tokens during the ANZAC and Poppy Appeals, as well as other fundraising avenues that arise throughout the year in our local sub-Branch area.
RSL Women’s Auxiliaries were founded on fellowship and a desire to care for our communities. This continues to exist to this day. Members enjoy the friendship of like-minded women, visiting other auxiliaries when they hold functions, and being able to share our ideas and ideals. We are a voluntary organisation, dedicated to raising funds for the welfare of veterans of all wars and conflicts. Eligibility of membership is open to any woman over 16 years of age. Encouraging membership is the future of the auxiliaries to carry on this good work for years to come. Many present members have been in the Auxiliary for over 50 years, a lifetime of devotion to welfare of veterans.